DCI, Inc.'s vision is to be a proactive community development organization that serves as a catalyst for making Downtown Crozet a vibrant commercial and residential area where economies are strengthened, partnerships are created, historic sites are preserved, arts and culture thrive, affordable housing is available, trust is built, divides are bridged and people of all ages become involved in the community.
Our mission is to foster a high quality of life in Downtown Crozet by securing resources to ensure that future downtown redevelopment preserves the best of the original character while serving the needs of a growing population. To that end, DCI, Inc. will support economic vitality and community development in Downtown Crozet and facilitate many of the recommendations of the Albemarle County Crozet Master Plan.
Proposed DCI, Inc. goals include:
- To attract new and support existing businesses that are suitable for our community;
- To assist with the branding and publicizing of the downtown Crozet area to support economic vitality yet reflect its urbane but rural character;
- To encourage community involvement in order to form a social network which supports our mission;
- To participate in the planning and development of public, commercial and residential properties, including architectural review;
- To facilitate infrastructure improvements to Downtown Crozet, including but not limited to broadband, water, sewer and roads;
- To promote historic, arts and cultural communities and facilitate beautification and public art projects that reflect our surrounding community;
- To promote local agribusiness and tourism;
- To support affordable housing easily accessible to central Crozet.
Current objectives include:
- To work with the County, as well as local businesses, developers, organizations and individuals to develop the Plaza, which is the central feature of the revitalization of the Barnes Lumber project in Downtown Crozet. It is the keystone for attracting new businesses to the area, functioning as a community/civic gathering place surrounded by new retail office and residential development downtown. DCI, Inc. will support this effort via design input, community involvement, organizational support and seeking resources for implementation and future maintenance.
- To work with the County, as well as local businesses, developers, organizations and individuals to develop The Square as a viable entrance into the future Plaza, which will be constructed as part of the revitalization of the former Barnes Lumber property. DCI, Inc. will support this effort via design input, community involvement, organizational support and seeking resources for implementation.