The 2017 survey allowed local Crozet residents to voice their opinions/concerns while also giving input into the upcoming revision of the Crozet Master Plan. Some of the main takeaways:
· Crozet residents really like living here, and recognize the area is rapidly growing
· They treasure the history of the area
· They appreciate positive attributes of the community:
- o the area’s natural physical beauty
- o low crime and a sense of safety
- o family friendly with low traffic, making it easy to get around
- o high-quality schools
- o a vibrant downtown and library
- o a positive influence by local wineries and breweries
There is overwhelming agreement among residents that the downtown area is essential to economic and community development. 94% strongly agree that the Master Plan should preserve the central vision of having downtown be the main center for social and business activities. 80% believe that downtown should be the top priority for development.
There is a very high level of engagement among residents, where 30% say they regularly participate in local community or civic organizations and 50% say they take part, but not regularly. Three quarters of Crozet residents indicate they either “very closely” or “somewhat closely” follow local civic and growth/development issues. 95% say it is important to them that Crozet has “thoughtful town planning.” The Crozet community is lucky to have such involved, community-minded residents!
The survey committee will continue to analyze the survey data more deeply and share findings at a series of public meetings in the first few months of 2018. All community members are invited to attend and share their own thoughts helping to inform the next steps towards an updated Master Plan for the Crozet area. The dates and times of the public meetings will be announced soon.