After five hours of community meetings and four months since then, lots of people are wondering, “What progress has been made to the Barnes Lumber site?” Here is the latest update:
- VDOT and the County are evaluating the design options in the context of the Crozet Master Plan and VDOT guidelines. VDOT will provide scoping requirements for an updated traffic study that will inform decisions about road connections, profiles and phasing.
- Design work will continue for several more months and include more emphasis on technical requirements of each design element. Minimum feasible block dimensions, grading impacts and phase 1 minimum requirements are among the items to be addressed.
- The Downtown Crozet Initiative Planning Committee met earlier this month to discuss future membership and a formal charter for the organization. Membership is intended to represent a broad cross-section of the Crozet community and include skill sets that will be valuable for the group as it becomes more active in the planning, design, marketing and economic development aspects of the redevelopment.
- Work is underway on a community survey that will be available to all Crozet residents and stakeholders. The survey is an important prerequisite to a market study that is in the current Implementation section of the Master Plan. The survey should provide a more comprehensive understanding of community demographics, retail needs, and development preferences.
- The County applied for a design grant from the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development to help fund a market study and preliminary design work on a civic plaza. In September, the County received notice that the grant was denied. However, the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development recommended that the County apply in a different category, which it plans to do. The County and DCI will evaluate future grant funding opportunities to help fund design of the civic and green spaces, complete a market study and launch new economic development initiatives.
Stay tuned for more updates in the coming weeks!